Saturday, October 07, 2006

All My Spills

Last night I spilled wine in a bookstore,
But this was by far not my first transgression.

I have spilled in Brittish manor houses.
I have spilled on the decks of cruise ships.
I have spilled at high school, college, and fancy
Graduate school dinners.
A legion of parties, museums, a dozen places where spilling
Was otherwise unthinkable. One Chistmas Eve
Stands out
In particular.
I was only sixteen and the loud drunken adults had left
A bottle of red wine out on the white clothed table.
I tried some, liked it,
And drank some more.

You can probably see where this is
Going.
You can probably tell that if you were here
Right now, sitting quietly with me,
I'd spill anything you asked.

3 comments:

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

Wooo! Nice turn.

David Oppegaard said...

Steph, your laughter fueled that entire reading on Friday.

Anonymous said...

LOVELY! I won't wear white around you just in case.