Saturday, July 28, 2007

Poems from the Foothills

"Where I'm From"

I'm from blueberry cream cheese
French Toast,
Home sewn clothing and laughter.
Motor oil, lilac bushes, and
Visits to the doctor.

I'm from grassy backyards,
Baseball, football,
Old tractors and even
Older men.

I'm from lakes and sweet corn
At the end of July.

I'm from books, lots and lots
Of books, read deep into the night
Until the world was silent
And you could hear your heart
Beating along with the sound
Of the train, rolling by
Just across the road.


"Postcard Haiku"

Boise desert hills
Silver sagebrush, dry creek beds
Shade beneath the trees


"Sounds"

The willow tree rattles
Leaves crackling like dried
Rice Krispies,
Bending like a reed
Before the wind.


"Ode to the Bullfrog"

O Bull Frog!
I cannot see you
Except for your dark beady eyes
Bobbing above the water
But your deep, car bass voice
Calls to me, as if you only want
A froggy hug, lonely as you are
In this desert pond and the mountains
Around you must seem very high
When you're caught at the top
Of one world,looking up
At another.

But O Bull Frog!
You're brave, dude.
You're brave.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bullfrog leaves me speechless.

David Oppegaard said...

I know! I really nailed that one. Poet laureate status, here I come!