Monday, January 23, 2006

Poem By My Cousin, Steve

“On waking at 4 a.m. to the floor shaking, and going downstairs to find Mrs. Robinson, twelve hours on the lam from her hamster cage, jammed in the smoking furnace” by Steve Norman


Her name was never so ripe
for parody, we hum the bars
God bless you please
and laugh a little, the furnace switch
now flipped to off, the floor above us
no longer a fault line.
We close the door to her aluminum
tomb, deciding to leave it all
for the morning, and upstairs we collapse
back onto our beds
with closure.

I lay and think for a moment
how I don’t care that she’s dead – she’s
someone else’s
eight-dollar emotional investment –
and yet I recall
the secret joy, the thrill
expanding inside me like helium
each second after I discovered her cage
empty, her door
open,
hanging awkwardly from its hinges,
a challenge to us and the world to create
something better, stronger,
less conquerable.
To think it all only came to this
waste.

Though, a week later
when the Minnegasco man hands
us a hundred-dollar furnace bill
I’ll understand the true hell blaze of glory
she went out in, and I’ll swear I hear
her laughing a high-pitched
nasally hamster laugh as I write out the check.

7 comments:

David Oppegaard said...

I don't know, but I think that hamster probably had it coming.

Kelly Coyle said...

I'm not sure I'd want to invite comparisons between Steve's poetry and my own.

Amethyst Vineyard said...

Can you imagine the smell of burning hamster?

David Oppegaard said...

heh heh. Cheery chinchilla.

Kelly Coyle said...

Charred cheery chinchilla.

Hot hamster.

Molten mouse.

Amethyst Vineyard said...

Rodent Rotisserie.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]